CONTENDERS: KIRAN BEDI VS ARVIND KEJRIWAL
BATTLE GROUND: DELHI
BATTLE DATE: 7 FEB 2015
BATTLE RESULT: 10 FEB 2015
A) Backround (Educational)
Kiran Bedi: She was a Lecturer in Political Science. She was an honest and IPS officer.
Education: BA degree
Masters degree in social science
Bachelor in Laws
Ph.D in Social Sciences
Awards: United Nations Medal
Ramon Magsaysay Award
President’s Gallantry Award
Books: I dare: Kiran Bedi
Kiran Bedi, the kindly baton by Meenakshi Saxena
Arvind Kejriwal: He was the 7th Chief Minister of Delhi from 28-12-2014 to 14-2-2014. He served as a Joint Commissioner in the Income Tax department (IRS)
Education: He did Mechanical Engineer from IIT Kharagpur.
Awards: Ramon Magsaysay Award
NDTV Indian of the year along with Anna Hazare
CNN-IBN Indian of the year
CNN-IBN Indian of the year in public service
Ashoka Fellow Civic Engagement
Times 2014,Time 100 list of the most influential people in the world
Books: Swaraj, Harper Collins Publishers 2012
B) Political Experience
Kiran Bedi: Unexperienced. No doubt, she has a proven and immaculate track record. She knows how the bureaucracy works but not the politics.
Arvind Kejriwal: He gained experience from his untimely poll debacle last year.
C) Point of start of their Social Popularity
Kiran Bedi: 1. When Whadwa Commission criticized her role in the lathi charge on lawyers protesting against Rajesh Agnihotri, a lawyer by profession.
2. She, being an upright and courageous police cop, made out a challan against the then Prime Minister Mrs. Indira Gandhi’s car ,with number DHD1817, at Yousafzai market, Connaught Circus in Delhi ( the headquarter of the government) in 1982.
Arvind Kejriwal: 1. He formed a social organization named Parivartan to help citizens in matters related to income tax, electricity and food ration matters in Delhi.
2. With Abhinandan Sekhri and Manish Shisgodia, he established the Public Cause Research Foundation in December 2006
3. He led a massive campaign in Delhi by stressing a mass appeal to formulate Jan Lok Pal Bill in order to stall prevailing corruption in India.
D) Strong Points predicting their victories
Kiran Bedi: 1. Her unblemished and untarnished track record in police service as well as in social circle.
2. Her indefatigable stand against the prevailing custom of corruption and political misdeeds, especially her spirited voice in favor of women empowerment and their security.
3. The strong, popular and political backing of the BJP and the Prime Minister.
4. Her in-depth and expansive knowledge about the civic and national issues.
5. Her popular universal image of honesty, integrity, bravery and transparency created through her own works as well as through that long held mass agitation to formulate the Jan Lokpal Bill.
Arvind Kejriwal 1. His well-carved popular image of anti-corruption and anti-establishment crusader.
2. His free style or beyond-the-bureaucratic set up working methodology.
3. His popular universal image of honesty, integrity, bravery and transparency created through his own works as well as through that long held mass agitation to formulate the Jan Lokpal Bill.
4. His earlier success as a Chief Minister of Delhi.
5. His striking and charming relationship with the youth and the underprivileged of the country.
E) Reasons for joining politics
Kiran Bedi: 1. She might want to teach Arvind a lesson by telling him that she too can become a CM of Delhi
2. Her inexplicable innate urge to experience the taste of a throne.
3. To give vent to her simmering vengeance against Congress which didn’t let her become the Police Commissioner of Delhi.
4. She really wants to fight for the change in the society and for the genuine causes of the masses.
Arvind Kejriwal 1. To recompensate or rectify his earlier shameful debacle in being a Chief Minister of Delhi.
2. He really wants to fight for the change in the society and for the genuine causes of the masses.
3. He might want to dampen the vibrant image of Narendra Modi, the PM of India.
F) Dangers on their sides
Kiran Bedi: 1. She is being treated as an opportunist. When, during the General Elections, the BJP offered her to become its member, she straightly refused it. But now seeing the political tempo of the assembly election, she lapped up the once in a life time chance of becoming a Chief Minister of a state.
2. Delhi is the center of intellectuals as well as most of the minorities, so it would become difficult for the BJP to garner maximum votes owing to their right-wing hegemony.
3. For the BJP of Delhi, she is a total outsider as far as her sudden and meteoric rise is considered. Her declaration as a nominee for the CM of Delhi from Krishna Nagar Constituency may cause heart burn to senior leaders taking the command of Delhi.
4. The BJP might want to use her as a scape goat in Delhi elections in case they lose their battle against Arvind.
Arvind Kejriwal: 1. His unique and eccentric way of managing political affairs like Dharna, picketing etc.
2. His last year’s playing fast and loose with his chief ministership
3. His strained relationship with Anna Hazare and Kiran Bedi.
4. His political immaturity.